You will need:
- A glass jar. Any shape or size will work - I have used a wine glass before.
- Clay pebbles for drainage at the bottom, this helps keep the plants happy!
- Activated charcoal. This soaks up sitting water and absorbs any unpleasant smells.
- Compost (house plant compost is the best).
- Plants: succulents, nerve plants, ferns, spider plants and cactuses are good ones to use.
- Moss (optional).
- Sand (optional)
- Shells (optional)
1. Place the clay pebbles into your glass jar, at least 2-3cm deep.
2. Put 1cm of activated charcoal on top of the pebbles. If you'd like, at this stage you can add moss on top as a layer to divide the pebbles from the compost.
3. Add the compost. You can level it out or you can make it higher at the back to create depth.
4. Now comes the exciting bit, planting! Try buying smaller plants - that way you can add more colour and variety to your terrarium.
5. Time to decorate! Add your pebbles (you can try using different sizes), shells and sand.
6. Sit back and enjoy your creation.
Created & Written by Jayne